Sunday, March 16, 2014

Literature Analysis #4: The Crucible

Plot:
The story takes place during the Salem Witch Trials. It follows the events that occur in a small town as various townsfolk are accused of witchcraft, primarily John Proctor as he is framed by Abigail Williams due to his refusal to continue his affair with her.

Theme:
I believe the main theme to this story other than the obvious one of deceit is the fear of the unknown. The villagers don't what sort of harm witchcraft can do and instantly fear it and anything that could be related to it. Therefore, a chain of events unfolds leading to the deaths of many innocents.


Tone:
The book's tone is rather serious and yet frantic at the same time.

Quotes:

"Until an hour before the Devil fell, God thought him beautiful in Heaven.”

"A man may think God sleeps, but God sees everything, I know it now. I beg you, sir, I beg you—see her what she is. . . . She thinks to dance with me on my wife’s grave! And well she might, for I thought of her softly. God help me, I lusted, and there is a promise in such sweat. But it is a whore’s vengeance. . . "

"Let either of you breathe a word, or the edge of a word, about the other things, and I will come to you in the black of some terrible night and I will bring a pointy reckoning that will shudder you. And you know I can do it; I saw Indians smash my dear parents' heads on the pillow next to mine, and I have seen some reddish work done at night, and I can make you wish you had never seen the sun go down."

Literary Techniques:
Metaphor
Foil
Symbolism
Diction
Indirect Characterization
Irony
External Conflict
Internal Conflict



No comments:

Post a Comment