Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Crossroads Between Should and Must

To be honest, I don't entirely understand what Elle Luna is getting at. All my life Should was described as a choice while Must is something that has to be done, there is no choice. Luna swaps these definitions and it threw my equilibrium with the words completely off balance. For me, it would have made more sense to choose the words Must and Want.

My choices in life are far better described by these two word rather than the others. I Must live up to expectations, I Must get good grades, I Must succeed while also dealing with the fact that I Want Happiness, I Want to draw, I Want to be healthy. My wants are what drive me and give me a feeling of joy, a reason for living, while my musts are things I just have to do, I feel nothing for them but loathing.

Should and Must are a nice concept but I don't believe that's how people in this world function. While some choices we make because we fear what others may think of us, humans are naturally selfish, thinking mostly of themselves. It all boils down to what we Want and what we Must do, that's how I believe our choices are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment